Phoenix area off leash training area/dog park

Anything related to hunting....birds, big game and exotics.

Phoenix area off leash training area/dog park

Postby az draht » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:53 pm

All,

I received an email from the Copper State Hunting Retriever Club that might be of interest to some. You may want to provide input. Here is what I got:

This evening I attended the public meeting (one of many being held in Phoenix) concerning what the public would like to see in their city parks. We weren't asked to speak, but rate some of their ideas and we could add our written suggestions. Of course I suggested a place or two in the city where we could train hunting dogs, off leash, but under control.

I talked at length with a board member, Jan Hancock, about the idea. She was very receptive. She suggested a letter from CSHRC to the Parks Board signed by as many members as we could get to sign. The letter could better define what we would need.

In addition she said that she will be meeting with the West Valley cities on park issues and requirements. We talked about the New River areas as a possibility. She indicated that the Agua Fria was to be developed, but the New River was not at this time.

She was very interested in the fact that our club puts on hunt tests and thought this might be a plus for developing a training area.

What can you do now? Go on line to www.phoenix.gov/parks/ and take the survey. You have five choices including an "other." Use the other to suggest a dog exercise/training area or park. The survey doesn't ask for an address,but does ask in what district you live. Some of you may live close to a district if not in one.

I recommend the CSHRC board develop a letter and bring it to the skeet shoot on 24 Aug for discussion and signature.

Steve Miller

Return to General Discussion-Hunting