Snake Vaccine - Pros & Cons?

Anything related to hunting....birds, big game and exotics.

Snake Vaccine - Pros & Cons?

Postby Maurice » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:24 pm

I've taken my dog to a snake avoidance clinic and was thinking about giving my dog the vaccine as an added precaution. Any comments regarding the snake vaccine that a vet administers? do you recommend it? side effects?, etc. thank you

Postby Rio » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:49 pm

Maurice,

I think you'll find folks that are either for it or against. Personally I do it, but only because I started getting the vacine prior to being informed about it. I've heard from several folks that have had dogs bitten from rattle snakes, some survived and some didn't (these dogs were not vacinated). I have not heard from anyone that has had their dog vacinated that has been biten.

Having said that, it adds a piece of mind for me. Here's a link to the only provider of the vacine:

http://www.redrockbiologics.com/rattles ... p#for_dogs

Essentially it's really only helpful for Western Diamondback rattlesnakes. So if your dog get's hit by a Mohave, you'll just have to wait and see.

As to side affects, I have not noticed any on the 3 of my dogs, except for when the shots were given towards to the rump, they still have a lump that I can feel, but it has not bothered them. If you want to discuss it more, give me a call.

Thanks,
Karl

Return to General Discussion-Hunting